à l'amour est de manger*
this recipe is so good, also learned from my MIL and using a pressure cooker makes it a snap to get it done a lot quicker than let it simmer all day long.[chu hou beef stew]
- 1.5 lb beef brisket or any kind of good stewing meat cut into pieces (ngau ppah lam)
- 3 double strips of tendons (ngau mah^gan^) - they come in double strips
- 1-1.5lb of chinese radish/daikon/moou (korean)/lo-bak (chinese)
- chu hou sauce (comes in a jar at your local chinese market)
- boil the beef and tendons in water for 5 minutes (chut so-yu) removed impurities from the meat.
- wash the beef and tendons in cold water - making sure you get it really clean
- put beef and tendons in your pressure cooker, add peeled and cut up radish (thick pieces so they don't fall apart in the pressure cooker)
- add enough water to cover then add chu hou sauce, depending on how much you have and your taste. 1/2 jar to 1 jar is plenty
- cook according to your pressure cooker requirements and when tendons are really soft, take them out and cut them into pieces. if your tendons are soft enough to cut but not to eat... cut them and place them in your pressure cooker for another round of cooking.
- if you like a gravy like sauce then you can add a little cornstarch to cold water and add it to the pot. bring it to a boil and you'll have thick sauce. i don't add cornstarch since i don't want my husband eating all that fat hehe. :)